Saturday, July 9, 2011

Being Embedded without Being a Pest (Revisted)

In a previous post I talked about how being an embedded librarian requires me to walk a somewhat delicate line between being useful and just being a pest.  My success depends on really knowing the context of the groups I support and providing them with relevant information.  (And my performance rating is based my interactions with them to some extent.) 

Some groups engage me more than others.  One particular team I’m assigned to uses me extensively for passive research, but doesn’t engage me a lot in their team meetings or for active research. 

I’m ok with that.  I feel if I meet teams and individuals on their terms, they’re more likely to trust me and we’re more likely to develop a relationship.  So I try not to be pushy.  But again, there is an expectation from my masters that I’m going to be more actively engaged than I and the team wants. 

It would seem I may have made inroads to the team, however, and its supporting my philosophy that building relationships as an mercenary embedded librarian is sometimes a function of time and baby steps. 

I and another member of the team in question happened to be walking out of work one evening when talking about our respective day.  She said the passive research I’ve been sending was great and asked if I’d be interested in semi-regularly sitting in on the team’s meetings where they discuss their projects.  We had a great informal discussion about the team and how I could help.  It couldn’t have lasted more than three minutes.  But since then I’ve also had multiple research requests from the team and an opening to attend their meetings.  I’m counting it as a victory. 

1 comment:

  1. That is a fine line and it seems that your patience paid off. Handing them the research and then accepting their invitation is indeed a victory. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete