Saturday, August 27, 2011

What would you say ya do here? (Part Duex)

In the space of about a week, I’ve done several introductions to my work and my team.  Each introduction had a different time box from, literally, a minute to around twenty minutes. 

After I had created a few speaking notes for the short version of my shameless self-promotion, it decided it would be a good idea to create three separate introductions I could use in a variety of scenarios. 

The Hit-and-Run: This is a thirty second pitch at a very high level about what I/the team does.  It really doesn’t go into any detail beyond 1) We exist and 2) We find stuff and offer insight.  It’s intended for hallway conversations, initial introductions, and briefly high-jacking meeting when you see an opportunity for shameless promotion.  The point is to be fast, but memorable.  

Speed Dating: This version is meant primarily for meetings where I’m not the spotlight, but someone maybe says “Adam, tell us a little about how you can help.”  Ideally, it shouldn’t take more than five minutes.  It’s more detailed than the Hit-and-Run, and includes deeper information on the types of products we produce, high level examples to give the audience something to associate with, and trigger points on when to engage me/the team.  Because I have a limited time span, I try to compare the services I offer to other services (both within the organization and externally) that they might know about.  Again, the goal is to remember that someone exists to with information resources. 

New Employee Orientation: This is fairly detailed explanation of not only my work, but the team at large.  It shouldn’t take more than twenty minutes (people start to glaze after that point), and is targeted at new employees, people outside the department, and management (as a demonstration of value).  It includes everything above as well as the specific teams I work with, what the other pieces of my team do and how they can help, and a detailed explanation of my/the teams deliverables.  I also bring along concrete examples of research we’ve produced in the past to give an idea of what they can expect when they engage me.  Depending on the crowd, I might also introduce specific information sources people can search on their own.  

Ideally, in creating these three versions of an introduction, one would create the long version first and then reduce it as needed for the other two.  I built my three introductions from smallest to largest and I think doing it that way was more challenging. I wanted to add information to the shorter introductions as I built the longer introductions. 

Of course, each of the scenarios is modable based on the specific situation.  And I keep copies on my laptop and in my portfolio so I can pull them out on short notice for nearly any occasion. 

A little upfront prep has hopefully save me time (and face) down the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment