Saturday, November 5, 2011

Adapting to Change Sucks... But it’s Necessary



This post from SLA’s Future Ready 365 blog really resonated with me.  I’m not a fan of change.  I find change a disruptive annoyance. I like my life nice and stable and predictable unless I decide I want to change it.  Contrary to corporate speak, I think most of humanity functions on similar principles. 

Alas, neither the universe nor my corporation embrace my philosophy on change.  And as painful as change is for me, I’ll admit that change is often necessary for us to grow.  If there is anything that losing my library and becoming an mercenary embedded librarian have taught me it’s that adaptability is crucial to remaining relevant and employed (and sane).  The author of this piece gets that.  Its adaptability that allows librarians to use their underlying skills for new purposes, sometimes for purposes which they were never designed. It’s also adaptability that will ensure our profession continues into the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment