Wednesday, April 18, 2012

How Much is Your Job Worth?


How Much is Your Job Worth? by Jerry McLaughlin


McLaughlin poses two questions every mercenary should asking themselves...

  1. What is the importance to the employer of doing the task you fulfill?
  2. How desired/specialized is the skill set you bring to the task?


Embedded librarians have a lock on the second aspect.  We bring a fairly specific skill set information retrieval, dissemination, and organization.  


The first question is a bit more problematic.  My grizzled perspective has lead me to believe that My Masters don't always place a high value on the need I fill for them.  So when I'm feeling really cocky I'll ask, what happens if you don't have someone like me doing what I do?  Can you afford to miss something that I'll uncover for you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment