Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Career Change


I used to be a librarian…  In the traditional sense of the word, if such a things as a “traditional librarian” exists anymore. 

Then things changed. 

I work in the corporate world.  When the economy tanked, special libraries were decimated.  Mine lasted longer than most, but two years ago, in true corporate fashion, someone wanted to do “visioning” for what the library could be in the future.  The staff pretty much knew how it would end, but present ideas for how we could take the function to the next level.

And over the course of the next two years, our physical collection, staff, and any resources we needed to take our services into the digital age evaporated. 

So I had to make a career change. Luckily there were other areas of the company I could use my search, research, and information organization skills in.  And now I find myself an “embedded” librarian doing pretty much the same work as I did before, but in a very different environment…

No comments:

Post a Comment