Sunday, April 10, 2011

Stranger in a Strange Land


… so I had to leave the world of traditional libraries.  There were no opportunities or support to take the function in new directions and no real opportunities for career growth.  Or rather, I wasn’t interested in the directions the company wanted to take this particular unit.  It was hard, but eventually we all parted on good terms (something for which I’m eternally thankful). 

Luckily the company I work for is big enough that I could offer my skills in another area and is very good about not displacing employees.  I was actually looking for jobs in academia, when I saw a research position open up in the part of our company that deals with our internet and mobile presence. It’s a good thing too because despite the large number of academic institutions in my area, there wasn’t a lot of movement in the staff in two years of looking. 

About a month ago, I became an embedded librarian for this area.  Have MLS, will travel. 

It’s like starting work at another company and almost like switching careers.  I’m in a different building.  There is new technical jargon I’m not always familiar with.  A boss (who I like so far) with a very business focused perspective. Co-workers who, for the first time in my career, aren’t also librarians.  And a new department structure with an unfamiliar political landscape. 

I’m a stranger in a strange land. 

No comments:

Post a Comment